Hey, everyone! How was your long weekend? Equal parts fun and restful, I hope. I’m currently flying home from visiting my younger sister, no doubt looking like I got hit by a bus. My flight departed at 6:02 a.m. (assuming I was able to sleepwalk my way onto the plane). We had a ball and took lots of pictures since she’s currently enrolled in a photography class at SCAD. (I’ll be sharing trip details and hopefully some decent pictures later this week.) You know how I love my trips to Savannah!
This week I’m installing the new light fixture courtesy of Lamps Plus, which arrived on Friday. It was love at first sight and I may have forced Michael hold it up for me with his unusually long arms so I could gaze at it. Let me tell you, he enjoyed that almost as much as he enjoys helping me stage my Instagram photos. (I’m not as bad as the ladies in this video, but check back in six months.)
Accessories were also added to the room this week, courtesy of my accessories cabinet. I have a lot of mementos and I’m always looking for new places to display my treasures, like my paternal grandparents’ vintage cameras.
I’ve mentioned before that we run a tight ship over here, so we don’t need to use baskets in the upper storage area of the locker unit. Instead, I get to display some of my pretty things. (Yet another score for being a tad OCD.)
And since I like things to be both pretty and practical around here (sorry–I can’t help myself), art work was a must for the mudroom. There’s no reason a utilitarian space can’t be beautiful, and adding art is the easiest way infuse some personality and style into your space. The room has one area for artwork, which is this corner where the locker is located.
When selecting art, it’s important to keep in mind the scale of the space and the other elements in the room. I measured the dimensions of the locker unit and had room for 2 vertically stacked 16″ x 20″ prints. This arrangement balances out the corner, doesn’t overwhelm the locker or look dinky next to it, and basically makes my eyes happy.
My favorite trick for not messing up the scale is to mark out the area where I’m adding my art with painter’s tape. This way you know before you commit that the scale is correct and your art won’t look bananas. You can see where the balance is currently off and needs to be corrected, and adding room elements in layers allows you to adjust the design plan as needed. You’ll notice I switched around the plant and dog bowls in the plan because the right side of the room was looking too heavy once the mock-up became a reality.
Minted supplied my lovely prints and made it easy to choose by having curated selections on their website. I searched by color and size, but you can also search collections by subject, room, pairs, and theme. This is a nice feature for those of you who want a curated look but don’t want the hassle of doing the actual curating.
My other print contenders were custom map prints or custom house portraits. I thought it would be cute to have maps showcasing our past and present cities and the prints would still have the abstract look that I love.
Michael preferred the custom house prints until we realized we didn’t have a high-resolution image of our first home in Dallas. (If you aren’t a slacker in the photography department, you likely won’t have this problem.)
The only picture I have is this one, which was our listing photo taken from the internet. The house is used as a rental property now and doesn’t look this pretty anymore, which pains me to no end. (We put a lot of love into that house.) What does this have to do with the mudroom? Uh, nothing really, but I thought I’d share anyway.
So now that we’ve got beautiful art, accessories, rugs, lighting, and the lone piece of furniture, I’m basically on cruise control until the big reveal next week. The doors were painted black, which I believe is the best decision I’ve ever made in my entire life, second only to marrying Michael. (That may be a slight exaggeration, but after looking at the doors again, maybe not.)
I alluded to my craft fail last week, which was to repaint the laundry room duh-sign and letter it with “EST. 1999” for the year we were married. I tried several methods of adding nice lettering, including rubbing Sharpie tops on water-painted reverse images of letters (don’t even ask), followed by nearly destroying the family printer feeding wax paper through it, then stencils, and finally stick-on vinyl letters. I’m going to say my failures were due to operator error and leave it at that. Thanks for nothing, Pinterest.
I finally made the smart move to order the letters from a custom printer. It was significantly less money (as in $14.00) than my failed attempts combined and once again confirmed my hatred of crafts. Now the sign looks professional and not like something you’d see on Pinterest Fail.
I’m so curious as to what the other ladies accomplished this week, and I’m guessing none of them wasted precious time painting water onto printer paper thinking it would magically transfer the ink onto wood. #noreallythathappened